Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Tom Cruise and the Nintendo Wii

Ok, the shock of Nintendo's Revolution name change is over, yet I still see and hear people complaining about the name and stating that they will not get or play the Wii simply because of the name. I find this type of behaviour to be asinine. Sure it's a ridiculous name, right now anyway. I remember when the Playstation was first announced, many people thought that were a silly name too, but I think we all know how that one panned out.

Personally, I think this move was brilliant for Nintendo. It gets people talking about their new system just a week before the big E3 show and that will force haters and supporters alike to at least check it while walking the enamored LA Convention Center floors. Once gamers see how this system is set to change the monotonous way we play games, they will start to take it serious and the name will become a household staple, just like the Playstation is today.

So what does the Wii have to do with Tom Cruise?

With M:i:III releasing this weekend I keep hearing people state that they refuse to see the movie because of Tom Cruise and his "wacky" Scientology rampage.

Come on people. Do you really want to avoid a May blockbuster just because you don't believe what Tom Cruise believes, crazy or not? If that were the case, I'd be screwed because 90%+ of Hollywood tunes into CNN, and I'm a Fox News guy.

I sure as hell don't believe in Cruise's Scientology faith (is it ok to call it that?) and I'm against his behavior during certain bits like his Ophra incident. But, that does not shun me away from enjoying the "actor" side of Cruise, the same actor I have enjoyed since The Outsiders, Top Gun, and one of my all-time favorites, The Color of Money.

So in the end, current situations involving Tom Cruise and Nintendo's Wii have contrasting parallels. I think everyone just needs to stop and use a little common sense before jumping the gun and avoiding something that they might actually enjoy when all is said and done.

No comments: