Monday, January 23, 2006

NFL Championship Sunday Thoughts

I sure got this one wrong, and thankfully so for all my Steeler friends at SportsRumorMill.

I was completely shocked at how well the Steelers offense operated, and conversely, how poor Denver's defense played. It takes a special team to become the first in NFL history to make it to the Super Bowl going into the playoffs as the 6th seed. Three road wins against the number one, two, and three teams in the Conference - incredible!

Big Ben has grown alot in just one year, proving that he can be a leader at a very young age and not crumble under pressure like he did last year.

Jake Plummer on the other hand - well let's just say that the Jake we all expected to see all season long, picked the wrong day to rear his ugly head (and it truly is ugly, the guy needs a serious haircut and shave).

Congrats Pittsburgh Steelers!


Not to be out done by the AFC Championship game, the NFC Championship ended as another big surprise - but I at least got the pick right on this game!

I was expecting a close game here with Carolina's stifling defense. But instead, we saw that Seattle meant business and that they were not the highest scoring team in the league for nothing.

Mr. MVP Shaun Alexander finally had the type of postseason success fans and teammates have been clamoring for the past few years. Along with the sometimes over-looked Hasslebeck, the Seahawks put the hammer down and have everyone in a tizzy when it comes to picking a Superbowl winner.

What really shocked me though was the way in which the Seattle defense played. They took Steve Smith out of his game and constantly had Delhomme on the run.

Congrats Seattle Seahawks!


So it's set, Pittsburgh vs. Seattle in Superbowl XL. Never would of thought I saw the day when Seattle was in the big game and never thought I would see another Cower lead Steeler team go. So now we have both and I'm left to pick a winner. Well, I'm not ready to do that just yet. I think we've got one heck of a matchup here and it's too close to call at this point.

Don't worry though, I'll pick my winner sooner or later. Of course I know my Steeler friends all want me to pick the Seahawks simply because ever since the Steelers at Vikings game, I've picked against them and they've won every game.

No comments: